Joseph Gordon-Levitt is serious about HitRecords work on Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Started by Legend, Jun 16, 2018, 04:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is serious about HitRecords work on Beyond Good and Evil 2. | ResetEra

https://medium.com/@hitRECordJoe/community-collaboration-vs-spec-work-8592692a875e
 (lock if old)
 some excerpts

Honestly, this concern was sorta painful to hear. It's not at all how I think of our community's creative process. I do think that part of this disconnect is simple misinformation. So in this post, I wanna quickly clarify a few facts. But I also think there's a misunderstanding about what HITRECORD is and what it isn't. So I wanna talk a bit about how the company came to be, why I started it, and why I've been doing it for all this time. I wanna explain why I think what we're doing with Ubisoft is different from spec work. And I wanna respond to some of the suggestions that have come out of the conversations I've been reading.

FIRST, A FEW FACTS.

• HITRECORD pays artists. Some people seem to think we don't. We do. Since we launched as a production company in 2010, we've paid our community $2,776,728.50.
  • We're not soliciting complete works. People on our platform work together by contributing bits and pieces, layering remix on top of remix. Finished projects are usually touched by a great many collaborators. We don't think of it as a contest.
  • Contributors retain rights to their work, whether it's used or not.When you upload original content to HITRECORD, you grant our company a non-exclusive license to monetize and therefor pay you for it. You're always free to do whatever you want with it elsewhere.
  • Ubisoft is not cutting any corners. HITRECORD's contribution to Beyond Good & Evil 2 has not resulted in a single job lost. They're not doing this to save time and money. They're doing it to allow fans who love playing games to get involved in making the game.
I've been following the conversations about this on Twitter, Reddit, and Resetera and I did mean it when I wrote on Twitter that I think a dialogue about all this is a good thing. Obviously I disagree with a lot of the criticism. But there are also some good points being made that I want to incorporate into our company.

Some people suggested that everyone who contributes to a project should be paid, regardless of whether the contribution is included in the final production. I appreciate the sentiment here, but this idea would be untenable. As soon as we announced any funded project, innumerable opportunists would contribute useless place filler and be owed compensation. We have to draw a line somewhere, and it shouldn't be arbitrary. If a project generates revenue, the people who get paid should be the people whose work is included or has influenced the final production.Click to expand...
JGL seems legit, He's an artist, and he knows how artists can get screwed over. Since Ubisofts conference, it seems he's been doing damage control, but really it seems like he's wanted to touch on people criticism. And I have nothing but respect for that.

Hearing that the artists will keep ownership of their works is a huge relief, to me. It means that if someone makes art and submits it, that in the end, if it's used or not, they retain ownership. And that is HUGE when it comes to 'contests' and submitting artwork.  

Dr. Pezus

Wait, didn't know he was involved with this game

BananaKing

But I can't ever take 3rd rock from the son dude seriously.

the-pi-guy

But I can't ever take 3rd rock from the son dude seriously.
What do you have against 3rd rock from the son?  :o

BananaKing

What do you have against 3rd rock from the son?  :o
It's awesome. But I can't take any of its staff seriously. Can't blame me for that!

Legend

Wait, didn't know he was involved with this game
Ya he was in the ubisoft show